Led by a woman social entrepreneur, ABKT is a registered non-profit development organization working on economic and political empowerment of communities in the under-served areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and FATA (federally administered tribal area) with a special focus on women and other marginalized groups. During the past two decades, ABKT has grown in its development approaches, thematic areas of intervention, and geographic outreach. From emergency and humanitarian work to disasters risks reduction, ABKT has come up with indigenous approaches in sustainable development for social, economic and political empowerment of marginalized groups and communities in the northwestern parts of Pakistan. ABKT has organized hundreds of community-based organizations in Malakand Division and mobilized them for specific causes to engage with government institutions and other important stakeholders in the region. ABKT has recently shifted its head office to Islamabad with field offices in Malakand, Swat, Dir Lower and Dir Upper districts.
ABKT vision is to contribute to the development of a democratic, prosperous and peaceful society that guarantees equal opportunities for all citizens of Pakistan.
Socio-economic and political empowerment of marginalized groups and communities, especially women, youth and children through mobilization, organization, capacity development, and advocating for their rights and entitlements
Respect - We affirm the dignity, potential and contribution of participants, donors, partners and staff.
Integrity - We act consistently with our mission, being honest and transparent in what we do and say and accept responsibility for our collective and individual actions.
Commitment - We work together as a team effectively to serve the larger community.
Excellence - We constantly accept the challenges to the highest levels of learning and performance to achieve greater impact. Thus excellence is not an act but our habit and value.
Innovativeness - We believe to adapt innovative ideas, that are culturally appropriate to fill development and transformation gaps.
Our approach is based on the principle of participation, cooperation and coordination of target communities and local administration to fill the state-citizen gap in service delivery. We work hand-in-hand with local activists, local leaders, local partners, and national and international organizations to give women, youth and children opportunities that they need to improve their lives, families and communities.
Cross cutting themes:
- Human and institutional development
- Environmental conservation
- Human rights assurance
- Peace and harmony
- Poverty alleviation
- Social and behavioral transformation
ABKT operates in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and FATA in Pakistan.
Our Main Thematic Areas/Deliverables:
1. Social Development:
- Awareness Raising about & Promotion of Human/Women Rights
- Protection & Representation of Marginalized Groups
- Promotion of Gender Equality/ Gender Mainstreaming
- Promotion and preservation of indigenous cultural heritage
2. Services Provision via following Right Based approach (RBA):
- Provision of Health and Hygiene Education
- Provision of Primary, Reproductive, basic Health Care Services
- Provision of Non Formal Basic Education School for girls
- Community based Infrastructure Development
3. Economic Empowerment of Women, Youth & Special Abilities via Sustainable Livelihood Approach:
- Facilitation of Micro enterprises and Finance schemes
- Provision of Technical and Vocational Trainings
- Farm & Non Farm Livelihood Development Programs
- Marketing via established outlet based in Islamabad titled "SHOP for a CAUSE" Networking of home based working
4. Good Governance Promotion:
Human, organizational and institutional development (HOID) Political Representation Participation Promotion Program (PR3P) Peace and Development